Six Recommendations When Sourcing Enclosures
August 17th, 2018
Selecting the right electronic enclosure can be a bit daunting at times, as there are a lot of options, and choosing exactly the right enclosure is sometimes stressful when you are developing your device. We here at New Age Enclosures want to make this process as easy as possible for you so you can focus on developing your device. When determining exactly which enclosure to get, there are six rules you should follow to ensure you get the right enclosure for your development.
- Select the Enclosure First
Choosing the enclosure first will make your search for the perfect enclosure significantly easier. Selecting the enclosure first is recommended for many reasons:
- It is sometimes difficult to find an enclosure that will fit your "already developed" PCB
- The enclosure manufacturer can provide you recommended PCB layout so you know what your working with and around.
- You can choose the "look" you want rather than being stuck with a design just because it was the only enclosure that would fit your PCB.
- The details of your end device can be discussed with the enclosure company to ensure the enclosure can support all of your needs and requirements.
2. Indoors or Outdoors?
Is your device going to be indoors or outdoors? This is a good question to ask yourself, as it determines what your enclosure might be made of and helps you narrow down quite a lot right off the bat.
Think about how big your PCB is going to be and narrow down your options to what works for you. It is a lot simpler to narrow down to your available options than to try to pick from the complete list only to find that your PCB doesn’t fit in the one you chose.
4. Power Supply
Do you need batteries or a hole for a cable in your enclosure? Knowing how you will power your device is an excellent thing to keep in mind as you are selecting your enclosure.
5. Make it your Enclosure
CNC Modifications and Part Decorating services can turn a simple looking enclosure into a unique product that suits you and your project. You can even customize the color and type of plastic. Check out how easy it is to turn a simple enclosure into a Market-Ready© design here.
6. When in Doubt – Just Ask!
You don’t have to do this by yourself! We understand your not an enclosure expert, but good news is, New Age Enclosures is! We are ready to help you make your project a reality. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can assist you in finding the perfect enclosure for your project.